Military Flight Controls Division
Supporting aircraft worldwide, Parker Aerospace’s Military Flight Controls Division (MFCD) provides primary and secondary flight control systems that make flight possible. Tested, proven and trusted in commercial and military applications for decades, MFCD provides precise position-control actuation solutions for military aircraft across the United States and with foreign partners. The division’s JetPipe® electrohydraulic servovalve (EHSV) technology is used across commercial and military aircraft around the world. Headquartered in Irvine, California, the Military Flight Controls Division is the global leader in fly-by-wire flight control systems and electrohydraulic products and offers the world's most advanced motor design capabilities for flight controls.
Analyzes, researches, designs, and tests component parts, processes, or systems to develop new and/or improve core products. Designs products or systems of diverse/difficult scope and complexity using engineering principles based on assigned engineering domain (e.g. mechanical; electrical; chemical, etc.). Develops and recommends solutions to a variety of complex engineering requirements to ensure that design objectives are met, including required program scope, cost and schedule constraints. Projects at this level are assigned to develop in-depth knowledge and skills and to build knowledge of the organization, processes, and customers.
Previous experience in the following products/systems is preferred: Electro-Hydraulic Servo (EHSV) Control Systems, Electro-Mechanical Servo Control Systems, Control system tuning Flight Control Actuation System, Fly-By-Wire (FBW), DO-160, DO-178, Verification & Validation (V&V), EMI, Reliability & Maintainability. Works within engineering and cross-functional teams within and/or across the business unit or division. May have regular customer/supplier interaction.
- Develops complex conceptual and detailed design specifications by analyzing product performance and customer requirements. Investigates design factors such as function, materials, performance, interchangeability, non‐recurring and recurring cost, operational efficiency, and contractual requirements. Performs diverse and complex product development, modification, and evaluation of components, subsystems, and systems by applying engineering principles and developing new or unique analysis tools as required.
- Applies scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure the outcome and consequence of design alternatives. Interprets and validates test results for accuracy and precision. Oversees and monitors product acceptance procedures and parameters to achieve customer and product reliability and safety standards (e.g. failure analysis). Utilizes and interprets predictive models to simulate and verify design concepts.
- Completes technical project elements (e.g. preparation of product or system layout; defining system architecture; creating software development plans; etc.) as assigned. Develops critical data and analysis necessary to present technical product and/or system proposals to customers.
- Contributes to the completion milestones associated with specific projects (e.g. create functional diagrams and system layouts; review detailed drawings and schematics; define data structure, interfaces and programming logic; analyze material requirements; research customer data item requirements). Maintain efforts within defined cost and schedule constraints, including statusing and root cause/corrective actions of associated variances. May act as Control Account Manager for projects applying Earned Value Management.
- Reviews product specifications and/or modifications to ensure clarity, completeness, form, fit, function, and conformity to standards and procedures. Troubleshoots design errors, omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions, engineering change orders, and improvements to engineering management or the project team.
- Provides technical information for review with product engineering teams applying consistent engineering practices, standards, and documentation methods (e.g. structured design process; customer design reviews). Writes supporting documentation for procedures and technical reports.
- Conducts complex analysis and devises tests to validate performance in the development of new products, methods, materials or processes. Completes required documentation, generates detailed reports, creates customer proposals and presentations and/or change proposals. Determines required actions, performs or directs completion of tasks, and publishes findings and/or results.
- Compiles and analyzes operation, test, and research data, develop acceptance, engineering evaluation, development and qualification/certification test plans, procedures, and reports.
- May communicate with customers to identify new business opportunities, present Parker product capabilities, and clarify customers’ technical requirements. May write technical proposals for customers by reviewing and interpreting specifications and requirements.
- Mentors or serves as a resource to share specialized knowledge with others. Establishes goals and objectives and tracks performance required to complete projects.
- Updates professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and/or participating in professional associations.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) (or Professional Engineer (PE) certificate) in engineering. (MS preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to perform the essential functions of the job typically acquired through 7-9 years of related experience.
- Experienced in the design of electro-hydraulics system preferably in aerospace vehicle applications.
- Assist with the testing of EHSVs and actuations systems on bench top and field locations.
- Has thorough in-depth knowledge of engineering domain principles, concepts, product standards, and techniques, industry practices, regulations, and policies. Ability to apply broad knowledge of other related engineering areas to area of expertise.
- Conduct error stack up analysis to establish the thresholds for flight control monitors, such as critical EHSV monitors.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate and implement new technologies.
- Proficient with engineering design and analysis tools (e.g. computer-aided design or modeling systems); ability to use standard software packages. May require capability using specialized software applications or languages.
- Ability to establish individual objectives to complete projects and provide status to the team at project milestones. Ability to effectively influence the overall team and functional objectives.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present status, actions, recommendations, and other technical information with clarity and precision. Ability to respond to significant inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or marketing/sales teams.
- Proficient with standard project management tools and practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Matlab/Simulink, LabVIEW, Visio, Microsoft Office, Project, CATIA.
This role is subject to compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which requires the incumbent to be either a US citizen, lawful permanent resident [“green card” holders].
Parker is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Parker is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job related reasons regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This position is subject to meeting export compliance eligibility requirements. U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status Required.
(“Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / VEVRAA Federal Contractor”)
If you would like more information about Equal Employment Opportunity as an applicant under the law, please go to http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf